MagaFirstNews

Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson spoke on “The Next Revolution with Steve Hilton” in an interview that aired Sunday about proposed new regulations aimed at making it easier for investors to take advantage of tax breaks for investing in “Opportunity Zones” in low-income areas.

“Policies have been pretty much aimed at putting people into programs,” Carson said, and now the Trump administration is trying to get poor Americans “out of the programs and self-sufficient.”

President Trump said last week that 8,700 neighborhoods across all 50 states and U.S. territories have received the Opportunity Zone designation and would be eligible for the federal tax incentives he’s proposed.

“The entire island of Puerto Rico is an opportunity zone,” Carson said.

“We are very concerned about the rural areas, too,” he added.

Trump’s proposed regulations were issued by the Treasury Department. They sought to clear up questions that were keeping some investors from using the incentives.

AOC IMPERSONATOR, 8, TAKES ON GREEN NEW DEAL, SOCIALISM IN VIRAL VIDEO

The program was included in the $1.5 trillion tax cut legislation that Trump pushed through Congress in 2017.

The new Opportunity Zones were set up to enable private investors to re-invest profits into designated areas.

“They are going to invest that money somewhere,” Carson said.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

He noted private investors would do what they do because they “want to be successful.”

As White House officials have explained, investors in Opportunity Zones could get tax benefits by deferring their capital gains taxes invested in the zones until 2026. They also could receive discounts of up to 15 percent on capital-gains profits invested in the zones and would pay no capital-gains taxes on investments in the zones held for at least 10 years.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News Politics

Several Republicans hit back at Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, over the weekend after he said he was “sickened” by President Donald Trump’s actions as detailed in special counsel Robert Mueller’s report.

Romney said it was “good news that there was insufficient evidence to charge” Trump with conspiracy following the report’s release and that “the alternative would have taken us through a wretching process with the potential for constitutional crisis.”

However, he went on to slam Trump, writing, “Even so, I am sickened at the extent and pervasiveness of dishonesty and misdirection by individuals in the highest office of the land, including the President.”

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee on Friday ridiculed Romney for his loss to President Barack Obama in 2012 – Trump took a similar swipe on Saturday – while Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani called Romney, “a hypocrite.”

“Know what makes me sick, Mitt? Not how disingenuous you were to take @realDonaldTrump $$ and then 4 yrs later jealously trash him & then love him again when you begged to be Sec of State, but makes me sick that you got GOP nomination and could have been @POTUS” Huckabee tweeted.

Giuliani took aim at Romney during an appearance on CNN Sunday.

“Stop the bull. Stop this pious act that you weren’t trying to dig up dirt on people, putting dirt out on people,” he said. “What a hypocrite.”

Source: NewsMax Politics

Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, a 2020 candidate for president, told Fox News on Sunday that Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election found “no collusion” between President Trump and Russia — and that it’s time for the country to focus on the issues that matter most to Americans.

Gabbard, a Democrat, told “America’s News HQ” that while she supported the Mueller investigation, “the conclusion that came from that Mueller report was that no collusion took place. Now is the time for us to come together as a country to put the issues and the interests and the concerns that the American people have at the forefront, to take action to bring about real solutions for them.”

She continued, “I don’t think that we should defeat Donald Trump through impeachment. I think it’s really important for us, in this country, to come together and have the American people vote to take Donald Trump out of office in 2020.”

Gabbard’s position came in direct contrast to Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., who last Friday called on the House of Representatives to start impeachment proceedings. Warren explained Saturday at an event in New Hampshire, “I know people say this is politically charged and we shouldn’t go there, and that there is an election coming up, but there are some things that are bigger than politics.”

GABBARD SAYS U.S. UNDERMINING NORTH KOREA PEACE BID WITH IRAN, VENEZUELA POLICIES

Also Friday, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro, another 2020 candidate, said launching impeachment proceedings would be “perfectly reasonable.”

Gabbard countered, “What I am worried about is the continued divisiveness and putting partisan political interests ahead of the interest of the people,” citing a voter’s concerns about making ends meet while struggling with the costs of health care.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The Justice Department released a redacted version of Mueller’s report last Thursday. Mueller wrote that he found no proof of collusion between Trump and Russia, and did not draw a conclusion over accusations the president may have obstructed justice.

For his part, President Trump tweeted on Sunday, “Despite No Collusion, No Obstruction, The Radical Left Democrats do not want to go on to Legislate for the good of the people, but only to Investigate and waste time. This is costing our Country greatly, and will cost the Dems big time in 2020!”

Fox News’ Adam Shaw and Leland Vittert contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News Politics

The Trump administration is “not going to do a military exercise inside Iran” in order to precipitate a regime change, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said, Axios reported on Sunday.

Pompeo was speaking in a closed-door meeting recently with about 15 Iranian-American community leaders in Dallas, Axios said, relying on three sources who were in the room.

Pompeo also distanced the administration from the People’s Mujahedin of Iran (MEK), an anti-regime organization that the U.S. once designated as a terrorist group and which some in the room said are worse than the current regime in Tehran.

He acknowledged that National Security Adviser John Bolton and Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani have friendly ties with the controversial group, but emphasized that neither he nor Trump did.

Pompeo mostly used euphemism to talk about the administration’s stance on Iran and was sparse with details, according to the sources in the room.

The secretary of state also said the Trump administration would have handled the 2009 Green Movement uprising against the regime very differently than the Obama administration did, but refused to describe how.

The State Department did not respond to requests for comment about the report.

Source: NewsMax Politics

President Donald Trump isn’t taking impeachment talk by Democrats lightly.

“How do you impeach a Republican President for a crime that was committed by the Democrats? MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!” Trump tweeted Sunday evening after arriving in Washington following an Easter Sunday spent at Mar-a-Lago in Florida.

Earlier, the president criticized special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe, calling it the “worst and most corrupt political Witch Hunt in the history of the United Stated (No Collusion) when it was the “other side” that illegally created the diversionary & criminal event and even spied on my campaign? Disgraceful!”

Several Democrats, including Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., over the weekend said impeachment could still be pursued.

“Impeachment is likely to be unsuccessful,” said Schiff during an appearance on ABC’s “This Week,” before adding, “It may be that we undertake an impeachment nonetheless.”

U.S. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler, whose panel would spearhead any impeachment proceedings, said Democrats would press ahead with investigations of Trump in Congress and “see where the facts lead us.”

“Obstruction of justice, if proven, would be impeachable,” Nadler said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

A redacted version of Mueller’s long-awaited report on Russian interference in the 2016 election, the product of a 22-month investigation, outlined multiple instances where Trump tried to thwart the probe. While it stopped short of concluding Trump had committed a crime, it did not exonerate him.

Information from Reuters was used in this report.

Source: NewsMax Politics

The United States is preparing to announce on Monday that all importers of Iranian oil will have to end their imports shortly or be subject to U.S. sanctions, the Washington Post reported on Sunday.

The U.S. reimposed sanctions in November on exports of Iranian oil after President Donald Trump unilaterally pulled out of a 2015 nuclear accord between Iran and six world powers. Washington is pressuring Iran to curtail its nuclear program and stop backing militant proxies across the Middle East.

Along with sanctions, Washington has also granted waivers to eight economies that had reduced their purchases of Iranian oil, allowing them to continue buying it without incurring sanctions for six more months. They were China, India, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, Italy and Greece.

But on Monday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will announce “that, as of May 2, the State Department will no longer grant sanctions waivers to any country that is currently importing Iranian crude or condensate,” the Post’s columnist Josh Rogin said, citing two State Department officials that he did not name.

Reuters was unable to independently verify the report.

On Wednesday, Frank Fannon, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Energy Resources, repeated the administration’s position that “Our goal is to get to zero Iranian exports as quickly as possible.”

Other countries have been watching to see whether the United States would continue the waivers. Last Tuesday, Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said that Turkey expects the United States to extend a waiver granted to Ankara to continue oil purchases from Iran without violating U.S. sanctions.

Turkey did not support U.S. sanctions policy on Iran and did not think it would yield the desired result, Kalin told reporters in Washington.

Washington has a campaign of ‘maximum economic pressure’ on Iran and through sanctions, it eventually aims to halt Iranian oil exports and thereby choke Tehran’s main source of revenue.

Source: NewsMax Politics

A woman from the Cincinnati, Ohio area lost her job and was separated from her children for a week after she was mistakenly jailed by police, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported over the weekend.

Ashley Foster was arrested in the presence of her two young children in a parking lot earlier this month by Hamilton County deputies for trafficking heroin.

Foster told the Enquirer that the police officers “showed me the computer, everything they had in front of them, it was my ID, my picture, my birthday, my Social Security number, but it was not my address.”

She was held in custody for five days before she was transferred to nearby Brown County, where the charges were issued. Afterwards, an officer interviewed her and realized she was not the suspect.

The Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office said it is usual procedure that when a person is found in another county from which the warrrant is issued, they are held for three business days until they can be transferred. However, in Foster’s case, her detention was extended due to the weekend.

The Sheriff’s Office said they also tried to contact family to pick up the children immediately after her arrest, but child protective services took them into custody when no one was available.

Child protective services said her children were then placed in the custody of their fathers soon thereafter.

Brown County Prosecutor Zac Corbin told the Enquirer that during the drug trafficking investigation, “the real Ashley Foster and a co-defendent had taken off” and that then, for some unknown reason, an arrest warrant was “filed on the wrong person.”

Corbin said that as soon as the mistake was realized, the charges against Foster were dropped.

Source: NewsMax America

A BuzzFeed News world editor faced backlash Sunday for taking a swipe at President Trump while tweeting an article about the attacks in Sri Lanka on Easter.

“Suspect we’d be hearing a lot more outrage from Trump and co. if the Christians killed in Sri Lanka were white,” Miriam Elder tweeted with a link to BuzzFeed News.

Elder’s tweet, as The Washington Examiner reported, received more comments than likes or retweets. It had received nearly 2,000 replies, 55 retweets and 120 likes as of Sunday evening.

Many of the commenters asked why the BuzzFeed News world editor would politicize the terrorist attacks.

BuzzFeed News did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment.

Trump on Easter morning offered condolences to the people of Sri Lanka. The president tweeted about the terrorist attacks in Sri Lanka, saying “we stand ready to help!”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

More than 200 people were killed and hundreds more wounded in eight bomb blasts that rocked churches and luxury hotels in or near Sri Lanka’s capital on Easter Sunday — the deadliest violence the South Asian island country has seen since a bloody civil war ended a decade ago.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attacks; Sri Lanka’s defense minister described the bombings as a terrorist attack by religious extremists.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Frank Miles is a reporter and editor covering geopolitics, military, crime, technology and sports for FoxNews.com. His email is Frank.Miles@foxnews.com.

Source: Fox News Politics

Harvard Law professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz said Sunday that CNN kept him off the network due to his analysis of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, and claimed that the channel once booted him from appearing on air in favor of troubled lawyer Michael Avenatti.

Dershowitz made the claims during an interview with Howard Kurtz on Fox News’ “Media Buzz,” saying that he knew “for a fact” that CNN President Jeff Zucker nixed his appearances because of Dershowitz’s views on the Russia investigation.

“CNN, which used to have me on all the time, on Anderson Cooper, on Cuomo, on Lemon, as an analyst, as a centrist analyst, they decided no, no, it is okay to have extreme Trump supporters, because people just use them as a stick figure exhibits,” Dershowitz said. “What they didn’t want was a centrist liberal that went against their narrative.”

ALAN DERSHOWITZ: A PROSECUTOR’S JOB IS TO MAKE DECISIONS, MUELLER DIDN’T FINISH THE JOB

“Walter Cronkite could not get a job in the media today.”

— Alan Dershowitz

CNN did not immediately respond to Fox News’ requests for comment.

Dershowitz added that if he were to grade the media on their coverage of the Mueller probe, he’d give them an “F.”

“Even with grade inflation, I just think the media comes off awful, terrible, for the most part. I think we are seeing an elimination of the distinction between the editorial page and the news pages in some of the leading media in the country, and that’s a shame. Walter Cronkite could not get a job in the media today,” he added.

In regards to Zucker’s alleged order, Dershowitz said: “I asked [Zucker] how come I am not on anymore, and he said, oh, no, no, no, you will be on, but since the summer I’ve never been on a single time. I have been on all of the other networks repeatedly. But clearly, they made a decision. They did not want my kind of analysis.”

What appeared to really rile up the Harvard Law professor was that CNN chose frequently to use Avenatti – over Dershowitz – for its analysis of the Mueller investigation.

“They had a choice of a Harvard law professor for 50 years who has been getting it right, a centrist liberal and who has credibility, or Michael Avenatti,” Dershowitz said. “And they picked Michael Avenatti.”

He added: “He became their go-to guy. Every one of his predictions turned out to be false.”

Avenatti, who previously represented adult-film star Stormy Daniels in her feud with President Trump, recently has become embroiled in a series of legal quagmires of his own.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Earlier this month, he was hit with a 36-count indictment that accused him stealing millions of dollars from clients, cheating on his taxes, lying to investigators and trying to hide money from debtors in bankruptcy proceedings.

Avenatti denied the charges on Twitter, saying he had made powerful enemies and would plead not guilty and fight the case. “I look forward to the entire truth being known as opposed to a one-sided version meant to sideline me,” he tweeted.

The new charges did not include a New York extortion case alleging Avenatti demanded millions to stay quiet about claims he planned to reveal about Nike paying high school players.

Avenatti, 48, was arrested March 25 in New York on the Nike charge. Federal prosecutors at the time announced he also faced single counts of wire and bank fraud in Southern California, where he lives and practices law.

Fox News’ Howard Kurtz and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News Politics

Lawyer Michael Cohen’s epic fallout with President Donald Trump was reportedly triggered by a meeting last June between actor Tom Arnold and the president’s trusted fixer.

According to The New York Times, Arnold tweeted a selfie with Cohen and later claimed to NBC News that the pair were teaming up to take down the president.

Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani phoned Cohen’s legal adviser, Robert Costello, because the president wanted to know what it was all about, the Times reported.

“Is he totally nuts???” Costello wrote in frustration to his law partner, the Times reported. “He is playing with the most powerful man on the planet.”

When Cohen sent along Arnold’s tweet clarifying the situation — “I’m the crazy person who said Me & Michael Cohen were teaming to take down Trump of course,” Arnold posted — Costello sent it to Giuliani with the request: “Make sure your client knows this. He will sleep better,” the Times reported.

Cohen tweeted at the time the meeting with Arnold was a “chance, public encounter in the hotel lobby where he asked for a selfie,” and insisted they never talked about Trump.

Arnold tweeted Sunday about the Times account: “This was satisfying.”

Source: NewsMax America


[There are no radio stations in the database]