The White House wants the U.S. government to have a much bigger say in what you see on social media.
The move presumably has something to do with Trump’s view that social media companies show a systemic bias against conservatives. According to the summary, the Trump administration has received 15,000 complaints on social media companies censoring political conversation on their platforms.
Those complaints likely came from the website the White House created earlier this year specifically asking for consumers to complain about partisan bias by social media companies.
As the law stands now, social media companies are not liable for the content posted by their users under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. They also receive immunity for taking down questionable content, as long as that takedown appears to be “in good faith.” While that provision exists so internet companies aren’t the target of constant lawsuits, the executive order would remove that immunity if a user isn’t notified of the content being taken down, or if the takedown is deemed anticompetitive.
A new draft executive order from the White House would put the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in charge of deciding what sites like Twitter and Facebook can remove from their sites, reports CNN, which obtained a copy of a summary of the order.
President Donald Trump and other conservative leaders have long said that conservative content is censored on major social media networks This order, called “Protecting Americans from Online Censorship,” appears aimed at making it so that conservative content could equally thrive on those sites, regardless of whether it breaks “the rules.”
Conservativish Infowars’ Alex Jones have claimed that they’re censored for being conservative after being kicked off of major social media sites.
The proposed order calls for the FCC to create new regulations on how and when the law will protect social media websites, specifically when those sites decide to remove or suppress content on their platforms. The summary also suggests that the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) should take those newly created regulations into account when it files lawsuits against companies or opens investigations into their practices.
Presuming the executive order gets filed, the FTC will also get in on the action. It will have to open a “public complaint docket,” and it will have to work with the FCC on a report on how social media companies curate content on their platforms and whether that curation is done in a neutral way.
The summary suggests that any company whose user base accounts for at least 1/8 of the U.S. population would be subject to scrutiny. That means in addition to Twitter and Facebook, companies such as Google, Pinterest, and Snapchat might also be subject to investigation. ]
What do you think? Is this a Good Idea?
Twitter locked accounts belonging to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s re-election campaign and several prominent conservatives Monday, after they posted videos of left-wing protesters gathered outside McConnell’s Kentucky home — with one demonstrator calling for someone to stab McConnell “in the heart” and for McConnell to break his “raggedy” neck. Capitol Hill communications director Ben Goldey said that he, too, had been locked out of Twitter.
“My account was temporarily suspended after posting a video of far-left activists chanting death threats at Senator McConnell,” Goldey wrote on Twitter.
“Meanwhile, @Castro4Congress tweet, targeting his own constituents by name and employer is still up and does not violate Twitter’s Rules.”
“Mitch McConnell has people on his yard threatening to “stab the motherf******” in the heart” & @twitter suspends MCCONNELL from its platform,”
Jennings wrote on Twitter.
“This nation needs to heal & this platform is actively removing voices from the conversation who can help find solutions. Absolute garbage.””Just stab the m—– f—– in the heart,”
Helm said, after a fellow demonstrator referenced a McConnell voodoo doll. Former McConnell aide and political commentator Scott Jennings also called the situation inexplicable.
“McConnell doesn’t care about people who actually do break their necks, who need insulin, who need any type of medication, because they want to stop and prevent health care for all,”
“And that is something that every American out here wants. There’s only a few Americans who don’t want that”
Twitter declined to provide an on-the-record comment. Because the video included an explicit call for violence, and took place steps away from McConnell’s residence, it apparently violated Twitter’s rules for anyone to post the video — including McConnell and his supporters. McConnell, 77, has been resting at home since tripping on his patio fracturing his shoulder on Sunday — and the Team Mitch account posted images showing him at his residence.
In the wake of this weekend’s deadly mass shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio, the hashtag
trended on Twitter — and some activists took their case to McConnell’s residence. Saavedra added:
“By suspending McConnell’s re-election campaign for exposing the violent rhetoric directed at McConnell, which was allowed to foment on Twitter for days, Twitter is interfering in the 2020 elections in a manner to help Democrats and hurt Republicans.” “This morning, Twitter locked our account for posting the video of real-world, violent threats made against Mitch McConnell,”
McConnell campaign manager Kevin Golden said in a statement.
“This is the problem with the speech police in America today.”
On Tuesday, McConnell’s campaign accused New York Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of encouraging threats against the senator and
“trying to dox some underage kids”
after she blasted a group of McConnell-supporting boys who took a controversial photo with a cardboard cutout of her during a recent Kentucky political event.
The situation quickly spiraled. The Daily Beast posted a tweet claiming that McConnel’s campaign had “essentially” told Ocasio-Cortez that “boys will be boys” — prompting Ocasio-Cortez, and later Newsweek, to falsely imply that McConnell’s campaign had, in fact, used that phrase.
As of late Wednesday, the Team Mitch had not deleted the offending tweet containing the video. Twitter’s policy for accounts violating its rules on certain offending content is to require the account owners to delete offending tweets in order for their access to be restored unless the conduct is so severe it warrants an indefinite suspension.
“The Lexington-Herald can attack Mitch with cartoon tombstones of his opponents. But we can’t mock it. Twitter will allow the words ‘Massacre Mitch’ to trend nationally on their platform. But locks our account for posting actual threats against us. We appealed and Twitter stood by their decision, saying our account will remain locked until we delete the video.”
“These young men are not campaign staff, they’re high schoolers and it’s incredible that the national media has sought to once again paint a target on their backs rather than report real, and significant news in our country.”
Its most recent tweet, made late Tuesday, Team Mitch called the threats outside McConnell’s home
“serious calls to physical violence”
and said law enforcement had been notified. The episode prompted the McConnell campaign, known as
to slam Twitter for political bias, saying the social media platform had effectively blamed the victim. Meanwhile, observers noted, Democratic Rep. Joaquin Castro remains active on Twitter, even after he posted the names of San Antonio residents who donated to Trump.
Kasich touted a “red flag law,” which would allow people to alert authorities if they notice a social media post that might indicate that a person is unstable.
It would then be up to a judge to decide what to do, as far as limiting that person’s ability to possess a firearm.
“It is outrageous for the politicians to just sit back and hope this goes away,”
Kasich said, pushing the media to maintain the discussion as well. Keeping the pressure on both parties is Kasich’s suggestion for making sure Congress addresses gun violence with action.
“They can all be blamed for this,”
“We need leadership at all levels of both parties.”
While Democrats have accused President Trump of inspiring race-based attacks, and have blamed Republicans for failing to pass gun control legislation, Kasich said the Democrats themselves are by no means in the clear.
Kasich acknowledged that Congress is unable to prevent all gun violence, but insisted that
“small steps can be very helpful.”
Former Ohio Governor John Kasich took members of both parties to task on Sunday for failing to take action to prevent mass shootings such as the ones that hit his home state in the city of Dayton, as well as El Paso, Texas this weekend.
“Do you know how many Democrats run for the fences whenever this comes up? They don’t want to deal with this either,”
Kasich told CNN’s Jake Tapper.
“You want to pass gun control legislation? People need to start marching,”
In the past, Democrats and media pundits have responded to shootings by calling for stricter gun laws, but Washington lawmakers have not passed legislation in recent years.
The New York Times published the report with Comey’s memos on May 16, 2017, revealing the contents of the memo which said the president asked him to shut down the federal investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn in an Oval Office meeting.
On May 17, Robert Mueller was appointed as special counsel to lead the Russia investigation.
DOJ WILL NOT PROSECUTE COMEY FOR LEAKING MEMOS: SOURCES
James Comey tangled with Rep. Mark Meadows in the Twitter arena overnight after the Republican congressman accused the feisty former FBI director of going silent ahead of the release of what could be a damaging inspector general report.Comey, during June 2017 testimony, said he deliberately leaked a memo in order to prompt the appointment of a special counsel.And he deployed a trendy put-down to call out Meadows for committing the social media sin of not tagging him: “@ me next time, bruh.”After the fact, the FBI classified two of those memos as “confidential.”“I love transparency. I just wait for facts before I talk about them. I’m confident the results of all IG reports will show honest public servants worked hard to protect this country from a threat this president and his enablers won’t acknowledge. And @ me next time, bruh.”The light-hearted feud belies the apparent severity of the Justice Department inspector general’s investigation. Officials confirmed Thursday that following a referral from the IG, the department has decided against prosecuting Comey for leaking classified information.The report related to Comey’s leaks is separate from DOJ Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s review of alleged Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) abuses.“As the IG report on Comey approaches, we’re getting the sound of silence. No Comey tweets. No softball interviews,” he tweeted. “Must be tougher when you get questioned by a DOJ Inspector General. The truth is coming. His actions will come to light. And the verdict won’t be pretty.”Comey hit back, tweeting that he’s simply waiting “for facts” before speaking publicly and suggesting he’s not concerned – before calling out Meadows for not following the Twitter code of honor:Fox News’ Brooke Singman and Jake Gibson contributed to this report.Comey, whom Trump fired in May 2017, denied that sharing the memos with his legal team constituted a leak of classified information. Instead, he compared the process to keeping “a diary.”“I didn’t consider it part of an FBI file,” Comey told Fox News’ Bret Baier last year. “It was my personal aide-memoire…I always thought of it as mine.”It remains unclear how tough the IG report will be on Comey, but the review pertains to memos he wrote memorializing his interactions with President Trump in the days leading up to his firing. He then passed those documents to a friend, Columbia University Law Professor Daniel Richman, who gave them to The New York Times. Comey admitted to that arrangement during congressional testimony.
FBIAGENTS RETRIEVED MEMOS FROM COMEY’S HOUSEB
Fox News is told the release of Horowitz’s report is “imminent.” And Meadows, R-N.C., entered the fray by suggesting the report will contain damaging details for Comey.
July 6, 2019 – 12pm Freedom Plaza
On July 6th, 2019, we will have a rally at Freedom Plaza, Washington, DC. Confirmed speakers include well-known public figures who have been silenced by Big Tech. Click here to see a list of the speakers. There will be a VIP Event afterwards.
DC #DemandFreeSpeech Rally
Calls To Action
Please sign this petition: demandfreespeech.org/petition – if you want free speech for all.
Attend and promote the #DemandFreeSpeech Freedom Rally July … See More 6.
RSVP on Facebook – share with friends
Freedom Q & A *VIP* Lounge Event
Support and pioneer new entrepreneurial efforts to have hosting companies and social media companies and payment processors that support free speech.
Flock Inc. App
Support these lawsuits against these #BigTech #SocialistMedia “#PrivateCompanies”
Our rights guaranteed under the United States Constitution are being systematically violated. Join the rally to demand unbiased social media, and an end to censorship. Confirmed speakers include well-known public figures who have been silenced by Big Tech.
Please see event website for rally details and a complete list of all confirmed speakers. http://demandfreespeech.org/?
Peter Boykin Founder of Gays For Trump Disabled by Facebook Days before his Political Election So first Twitter Disabled @BoykinForHouse Campaign account, then the 2nd one @BoykinForHouse_ , and a chunk of Peter Boykin’s other business accounts. Leaving only his verified account @PeterBoykin Now today, Peter Boykin went to login and his Facebook account only […]
Jack’s Twitter Claims the Right is NOT being #ShadowBanned … Do you Believe That? by Peter Boykin @PeterBoykin How can Twitter claim to have First Amendment rights, while also hiding behind Section 230 of our legal codes? Section 230 says this “no provider or user of interactive computer service shall be treated as the […]
Tired of being Shadow banned and censored by social media? Are YOU NEXT? Just Google Search it: https://www.google.com/search?q=list+of+conservatives+banned+from+twitter This is why we need your help! Help Peter Boykin find and pay for legal defense against social media! http://gofundme.com/stopsocialmediabias The Twitter Account @BoykinForHouse is Still suspended by Twitter. BoykinForHouse.com Who needs Russian Collusion when you have Twitter […]